Friday, October 16, 2009

Using Comments in Word

I just wanted to share a new thing that I've been doing this year with my students' work. I am trying to be as paperless as possible this year. All they do is travel back and forth from my house in my bag anyway, so why kill a tree and tear through my toner.

Instead of printing out copies of questions I wanted them to answer, I had them download the document from the online portion of my class in Moodle. Also, instead of them then printing them out and handing them in for me to review and comment, they are handing it in to me electronically as well. So this year, instead of writing the comments on the printed version, I am using the "comment" tool in Word to provide feedback and their grade. I then hand it back to them electronically for them to see the comments and receive their grade.

I have found more than just environmental benefits to this new method. I feel the students are taking the time to review my comments and many of them have worked on improving their work with out being asked. Before, I would hand back the work and they would look at the grade and toss it aside. Now I see them actually reading what I had to say and responding positively to this new method. It did take a bit to get into the swing of it, but I like it and wanted to share it with you.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca,
    I love the comment feature. I never knew it even existed. I'd love to see your Moodle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca,

    Could you do a post showing us how it looks when you use the comment tool? Pics and texts?

    "I feel the students are taking the time to review my comments and many of them have worked on improving their work with out being asked."

    Increased engagement with and ownership for the learning is certainly an endorsement of this approach.

    Have you explored Buzzword Acrobat.com? https://buzzword.acrobat.com

    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds cool in some ways (especially that students seem to care more about actually reading the comments); thanks for telling us about it. The downside, as usual with high-tech approaches, is that I wouldn't be able to write those comments in the car (as a passenger :-) or while watching my daughter's gymnastics class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For quick instructions on how to access this feature in Word, follow this link:
    http://rfuller21centuryskills.wikispaces.com/Tips+and+Tricks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know this existed in Word. Thanks for the tips and tricks, and including a sample document. Nice to see what it looks like and how it works.

    ReplyDelete