Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Feels like an online course

[This is another thing that I accidentally posted on my own blog but meant to post here.]

Another quick thing that I've been thinking about this course, is that it feels more like a very content-rich online course that I took (through Primary Source), than it does like any other in-person course I've ever taken. While I found the question-and-answer session at the beginning of our last class meeting very helpful, for the most part the place that I'm learning a lot is at home, reading articles and experimenting with the tools. Like the other online course that I took, there is way, way too much information to explore all of it within the time frame of the course (or probably ever), but when that doesn't feel overwhelming it's pretty cool to have been given so many new directions to explore. Thinking of it as a sort of an online-course-with-help-sessions makes me feel better about having to spend so much time outside of class in order to understand the tools.

6 comments:

  1. Very well said DK! I think the only real way to learn this stuff is by playing around and fumbling through all it all. I am starting to feel less confused as I start to grasp more tools. This is nothing new to me in terms of self learning. I taught myself Powerpoint, Excel, and HTML. I do wish that some of class would be devoted to allowing us to play around with a new tool (with a guided tour). just some thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I will reluctantly agree, as well! Though I'm still feeling pretty overwhelmed. Finding the large amount of time that it takes me (others?) to explore and fumble through is often difficult, and it's frustrating not to be able to make sense of it all much faster. On the other hand, the satisfacttion of finally having the pieces fall into place is, well, satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright, the frustration again. I just caught my typo and can't figure out how to get the comment back to edit it. Does anyone care about typos and/or spelling errors in the 21st century?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with both of you, both about the time being hard to find, and about hoping that we can do more of the playing around with the tools, with some guidance, in class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @sbrebbia

    To catch and correct typos in Blogger comments, use the preview button before you post the comment.

    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  6. @dkinney

    "...hoping that we can do more of the playing around with the tools, with some guidance, in class."

    You will have some of this time in class each session from now on.

    Dennis

    ReplyDelete