Thursday, October 22, 2009

Creating a 21st Century Classroom

After reading "Math Made Compelling: The Kiva Renaissance," I have a clearer picture of how global learning and technology use can be integrated into the 21st century classroom.   I was inspired by Jen's use of Kiva and really making math come alive.  As a math teacher, I am often revisiting the question "How can I prove to students that they will need these math skills in real life?"  Through Kiva, Jen truly took this concept to a new level and made her students 'emotionally connect to numbers,' a feat that is difficult to reach in an elementary mathematics curriculum.

The students I have in front of me this year are a great group--they have personality, they are responsible, they are self-motivated, and they are usually well-behaved during class.  Because of this, I think that I can try new things and plan more intricate, involved lessons than I have in the past.  This leads me to the question: Will I be able to come up with an idea as profound as the Kiva Renaissance?  I'd like to, but where do I begin?

3 comments:

  1. I think we should remember that we don't always have to reinvent the wheel (although I tend to). It's OK to use parts of great projects that we read about, including this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And isn't that what collaborating is about... we don't need to reinvent the wheel, but can support one another, work together, and share information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you've already begin, NSPAK.

    Dennis

    ReplyDelete