Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Confused about tagging

Hi, folks. Hi, Dennis. I'm sort of confused about requirements. I joined Blogger a few days ago and started my own blog, and spent a while figuring out (I think) how to attach the course tag to my post, but now it seems we were supposed to be blogging here, instead. Do we need to tag these posts, or would that just be redundant? I hope we will spend some time really learning about how to attach tags. I feel like we were told to do it, but not shown how. I've tried reading help pages and introductory pages and watching an online video referenced on the course web site and just looking around the various sections of my blog page, etc., and it seems like I'm spending a lot of time only semi-successfully trying to figure out how to do something that I wish we could just be shown how to do. (For example, at the bottom of this window that I'm typing in right now it says "labels for this post". Is a label like a tag? Or like a category? Should we be labelling these blog posts? And, a few minutes ago the list on the right hand side of this course blog site listed me as a contributor, but I hadn't actually written anything yet -- so, why was I listed as a contributor? Does that have anything to do with my post on the OTHER blog that I set up, which I tagged for this course?)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Diane,

    Yes, tag all post #i3cs21 or #i3cs21star here and elsewhere. Redundant here, but a good habit to get into so we pick up all tagged resources in the RSS feed readers.

    In Blogger "labels" is the same as tags.

    For more about tagging: K12ONlineConference.org (http://k12onlinecnference.org | Presentation Title: “I Like Delicious Things: An Introduction to Tagging and Folksonomies”
    Description: (http://dotsub.com/view/6a13b8e6-e30e-4b32-865f-b5351f61da1f) Using simple examples from a number of tag-driven websites, this presentation looks at how tagging and the subsequent creation of folksonomies are changing the way we think about information. Starting with obvious tagging systems used on sites like Flickr and Delicious, it examines how tagging enables information to be classified, sorted and managed in ways that make it more accessible, easier to manage and more self-aware. It also explores how tags can be aggregated across large collections of information to provide a snapshot into the overall zeitgeist of collective thinking.

    You are an author/contributor because I invited everyone in the class to be one on the blog.

    This is a class blog to which everyone contributes.

    On the wiki course requirements page I've asked everyone to create their own blog by session 3. You are making excellent progress.

    See you tomorrow.

    Dennis

    ReplyDelete