Thursday, October 8, 2009

Introduction

I am currently in my fifth year as a 6th grade math and ELA teacher at the middle school. I am trying to incorporate technology in both subjects, but it takes me a little while to decide what to share because I always want to feel comfortable and confident with a site before I share it with students in case they have questions. When I have used technology in the past (especially in math), I've seen very positive outcomes. It's clear that many students are very savvy with the internet and can easily navigate through sites and follow directions very well (often better than they do during day-to-day activities). It seems that they like how instantaneous the results are! However, I am wary about this because no matter how far society advances with technology, won't there still be the need for basic task completion, interpersonal skills, and offline executive functioning?

4 comments:

  1. Welcome Nancy! You raise some very interesting points...great things for me to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy,

    I have some of the same concerns. Students use technology so casually and it can prevent them from developing real interactions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy,
    I agree with both Andrew and Sally. Our kids have such a difficult time communicating face to face with one another!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope it does not come down to having students resolve conflicts via technology!

    ReplyDelete