Saturday, October 10, 2009

How to comment? How tag a comment?

[I just tried to comment in response to a comment that Dennis made to something I had posted earlier. The site would not take my comment. I don't know why. Anyway, I'm putting it here, instead, since at least I know how to post something here.]

Dennis, thanks for your response. I'm STILL confused about tagging, though. (I had actually watched that video before posting the first time. It was interesting, but did not help with basic-level nuts-and-bolts issues of HOW to place a tag on a post. I understand that better for some things, now, but not for everything. I still wish that those of us who want to, could go through the various course blogs and wiki sites TOGETHER in class and practice placing a tag on a post at each site -- step-by-step, together, slowly enough to do it together and take notes on it. No need to make anyone participate who understands what to do and would find the slow pace frustrating, but I don't think I'm the only one in the course who would consider this a half-hour well spent.)

(Ack, now I don't see how to place a tag on this COMMENT! [Now that I'm being forced to make this a "post" instead of a comment, I see where to post a tag, at the bottom, as a "label". But, I still don't understand how to get the system to accept a comment to a comment, or how to put a tag on a comment.])

It wants me to choose a profile before posting this. [Again, I wrote this while trying to comment to a comment.] I have no idea what that means. I'm choosing "Google Account" just because I have one. . . [As stated above, this did not work. ???????]

3 comments:

  1. During session 3, I am going to try to address your need (and the need expressed by others) by designing 3 areas of activity: 1) a place for those who want some direct instruction and guided support during learning, 2) a place for those who are comfortable guiding their own learning with face to face colleagues within the areas of learning I present, and 3) a place for those who are in between, wanting some direct instruction as a precursor to self-directed learning.

    So, tagging could be a topic for direct instruction.

    Reading the screen where I am typing this comment, I can see no place for a tag so I simply will embed it in the text of the comment. Here: #i3cs21

    I can also see that it reads "Comment as: Select profile..." below the box where I am typing. That's because I intentionally logged out of Blogger. To leave a comment, I have to identify myself to Blogger. I have a Google account, as does everyone in the class, so I will select that.

    I click "Preview," and because I am logged out of Blogger, a screen pops up asking me to sign in. When I do, the preview of my comment appears. Be sure to click the "edit" button to edit the text. I have found that clicking the text itself causes the comment to disappear.

    Note 1: A tip on anything you post or comment on a blog is to copy the text before you click any buttons. Then you always have the text to paste if you lose it. Once you are comfortable with the service you will begin to trust what you can an can not do.

    Note 2: Not all platforms require you to "sign in." Those that do, may require you to do so before you can comment. This "sign in" is a lot less formal and usually asks for a name, a blog address (so they can provide the link to your blog to readers of your comment), and your email address for security purposes. If you don't have a blog, leave it blank. As for the email address, they promise not to share the email address and, in my experience, they have kept the promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a second comment to test whether or not I can comment again. Some services allow you to specify a comment on a comment rather that a comment on the original post. Blogger does have that capacity. I suppose we could agree to use the @ sign. @Dennis would mean a comment on Dennis' comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Dennis Thanks for the helpful comments, and the plan for Session 3!

    ReplyDelete