Monday, December 28, 2009

What happens come January 22nd

I believe our last class is January 21st - a new concern for January 22 and beyond.

I finally checked in with my iGoogle page last night and saw that posts were made this weekend, the very first weekend of vacation. Egad, I thought. I'm slacking. I had planned to give myself a break, enjoy the holiday and start of vacation, and enjoy (in theory) the rounds of family that have been visiting or staying. I hadn't picked up my computer in days. The lasagnas (meat and meatless), chicken parmesans, roasted vegetables... consumed my life for a change. What surprised me, was how easy it was to put all that I have immersed myself in these past months aside, and not give it a thought (except - jeesh, my rss reader is probably packed). As a matter of fact, I think I could have left this well enough alone for the duration of vacation. Scary thought for as me as I thought I had crossed this great digital divide and arrived on the web2.0 side. Is it this easily that I can leave it all behind?

With a quiet house, I thought I'd watch another K12 Online Conference presentation. Diana, I watched the one you commented on because I wanted to see about this Screentoaster thing. I like how he kept his presentation simple, clear, and directed (thought I did lose audio at the end). It was reassuring to see him present two tools that we have been introduced to in class, Diigo and Prezi. With all that is out there, I find it really helpful to see tools used repeatedly to help me get a feel for them and to see that they may really fit into my post January 21st life. I think now I may even have an idea for my digital sharing project. Need I be worried that I am still waffling (oh, a breakfast idea for family that is somehow still around - homemade waffles, yum)? One comment that Drew makes at the beginning is that if we find ourselves watching this, we are probably going above and beyond. It's nice to have that sentiment acknowledged, but it makes me wonder, will this ever be the norm for me and not above and beyond? Or will I always be caught in the middle straddling the divide?

As a humorous aside, does this blog post ring true for anyone those last few days of school with all the treats available? Don't miss the label.

3 comments:

  1. January 22nd is my birthday so I propose that we celebrate our status of being officially on the other side by a new form of birthday cards....animotos, wordles, anything other than a snail mail card, pre-made ecard or phone call!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about celebrating with a glass of vino instead!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great reflection, Suzanne. The voice you've arrived at in your posts is fun, entertaining and thought-provoking! Oh yes, the humor in after thoughts like "does this blog post ring true..." is a welcomed diversion with a poignant twist.

    It would be a shame to think that it all stops on January 22, but that's what intellectual freedom is all about - keep it to yourself and let it fade or pass it on. I've decided to do my best to pass it on; I hope you do too.

    Look to the right --> 43 post in December alone and already 9 in January.

    ReplyDelete