Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Kim Cofino Conference

Culture Shock

I wonder if after moving around so many times, even though the culture shock still exists, if each new time becomes easier to get over it. Even though the "shock" might be based on something new, what you take away from experience, and what you learn from it, should help you recover from each new shock you encounter in a new environment.

I also hadn't really realized or really thought about the families or teachers in other countries aren't necessarily immersed in the culture - that they live semi separated from the culture as a whole.

"Always On"
Kim spoke of online learning being necessary for today's life style. Having access to curriculum at all times helps facilitated the learning that we expect to happen. I think that Sharon has made a good step in that direction with the implementation of Moodle at the middle school and high school level.

Although we have the "always on" model with moodle, what I do think we are missing is the collaboration piece. I think that it is daunting to think of how to "manage" it with our students. Moodle does have a wiki piece, however I haven't ventured out to work with it and the students yet.

"No one in Asia hesitates to incorporate technology into their lives when it is useful." This is a key point that we should focus on - when it is useful. I am not someone to fall into gimmicks easily. I need to see the value proven and proven again. I can't stand wasting my time on something that I do not see is useful and is the best way to get something done.

Personal Learning Network
I have found one of the things that is frustrating to me is that I feel that I am the only person in the middle school world who is teaching what I am teaching with my 8th grade in the way that I am doing it. I've tried to reach out and find blogs and twitter posts that relate to ArchiCAD in the middle school curriculum, but I am only able to find things related to high school or higher education. This is very frustrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment