Saturday, December 5, 2009

Class wiki update with glog (click here to see)

Following Suzanne's inspiring example, I have now successfully created a glog and embedded it as the home page of my classroom wiki! I've even set up links within it that match my menu choices in the wiki (although if you click on the links within the glog instead of on the menu bar, it opens up a whole new window rather than just jumping directly there).

It was fun to do, but it took many hours. I'm still thinking of making glogs with students -- maybe have each kid make a book poster with links to character traits of the main character, backed up by evidence, examples, and quotes from the book. I'm not quite as happy with the final results of my glog as I expected to be, though -- it's just not as exciting as I thought it would be to look at, partly because it does not fill the screen unless you right-click and tell it to (in which case you can't see all the glog elements, any more). In fact, when I first embedded my glog into my wiki it seemed WAY too small. I changed the dimensions in the embed code to half again as large, which helped, but what would help more with the whole impressiveness thing would be to turn the page to a landscape orientation, which I haven't seen any information on how to do, or if it's even possible. Any suggestions, anyone?

Of course, it took all of my free time today to do this, so now I really need to spend tomorrow on other things!

3 comments:

  1. Actually, after all that, I wonder if I've really gained anything over what I could have had by picking a different background for that page of the wiki (Can you do that?), and then inserting some pictures directly into the wiki and making them into links.

    #i3cs21

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of good work and reflection. Sharing on the blog is very helpful for other teachers.

    Thanks for the link to the wiki. Your students did some nice work on the myths.

    Dennis Richards

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very exciting news on the wiki front. From our discussion yesterday - how neat that someone went back to it on their own time to make changes. If you pursue a book glog project with the kiddos, maybe they can look for author info and include a link or video or something else (you know, in your extra time).

    ReplyDelete