Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Oh ya, the bad side...

Read this Time article about how people are using the internet in not the nicest of ways. The article talks about how colleges are dealing with the sites that spew nothing but rumors and gossip and the long-term effects these sites have. One administrator referred to these gossip sites as nothing more than an, "electronic bathroom wall."

Part of the problem is that the internet allows for faceless, made up names to sully the reputations of people. I think in this age of 'awareness' the fact that this type of libel and slander can occur is unfortunate.

4 comments:

  1. WOW! Quite the article and video! Can't help but wonder why kids do this. I guess the fact that it can be done anonymously makes kids think it's okay to publish. Put the video on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this article in the recent issue of Time and I also find it to be pretty interesting. I guess there's this site that I've heard a lot about called Juicy Campus, and I just cannot believe the things that people will write. Where is the humanity... we do all of this nice stuff in school like "Rachel's Challenge" and trying to prevent people from feeling like outsiders so that they don't hurt themselves or others... but I think that society needs some help in this area as well.

    The other interesting site is FML (I won't put what it stands for on this, but you can google it). People put some pretty outrageous stuff online on that site too.

    I just wonder, what is there to all of this? Do we think it is healthy? Unhealthy? I'm still not sure (although I definitely think that Juicy Campus is appalling).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we're currently living in the "Wild West" days of the Internet, and that some of this stuff will (hopefully) sort itself out eventually. When it does, though (perhaps through increased regulation), there's a good chance that we'll lose some of the POSITIVE aspects of that wild west-ness, too (through the flip side of that same regulation). #i3cs21

    ReplyDelete
  4. We can always teach students to use technology for good, KIVA for example, but some will abuse the privilege. For every abuse there are thousands of positive applications. We see the glass as more than half full of goodness.

    ReplyDelete