Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Wither ePortfolios

The point of this presentation was the need to understand that an e-portfolio may come in forms that are not traditional or not what we are used to seeing as an e-portfolio option. I think that point did come across well.

I liked how he broke it down into the following concepts:
Managing - Personal Space
Presence - Digital Footprint
Connecting - Sharing and Collaborating
Consuming - Finding out
Judgment - Alternative Ways

It is up to the students to share the work with you. Let them do the work in the way that they want to present it. Everyone learns in a different way, so it makes sense that we would allow students to showcase their work in different ways.

We have wanted to institute an ePortfolio as part of the 8th grade assessment of technology skills. Drew Buddie was using Moodle to connect to another ePortfolio service, but it did inspire me to think of how we could use Moodle as a way to create the ePortfolio assessment piece. We could include a topic for each NETS we wanted students to demonstrate and they could link to or upload documents that demonstrated the specific skill.

On another note....
What I find amazing is that this is a K12 Online Conference on technology and innovations in the classroom. I would expect the presentations to be very high quality. Most of the ones that I watched, I was surprised at how low-tech they were on many levels. This gentleman had a video camera set up in front of this computer screen to view his presentation. When he wanted to highlight something on the screen, he would pick up his camera and move it closer to the screen. It is hard to take someone seriously about stepping forward with technology from a presenter who is presenting in this manner.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Rebecca,

    I found your notes a bit hard to follow as I could not work out which conference it was that you had attended and it did not dawn upon me that you were talking about a presentation by Drew until the next paragraph. Also, with no 'About me' link it was difficult to work out which country you come from.

    However, I really wanted to respond to your notes re e-Portfolios.

    I agree that the e-Portfolio should be a self-representation of 'ME' ie the identity that the learner wants to present to others. However, I do prefer that a school sets up an initial scaffold so that some pages are easily found by staff and that there is therefore a starting point that all learners can begin with.

    I also note your comments about Moodle. Yes, I agree with you that, whatever the VLE, standard coursework and sumative assessments are best held within the VLE. I then encourage students to select from their VLE those artefacts that they feel best represent their progress, skills and values etc.

    Please forgive me but I do not recognise the acronym NETS - but I can guess that it relates to some form of criterion referencing. Here I agree with you that different pages can be set up or even scaffolded for the students for documenting skills etc.

    I'd like to 'talk' with you further about your ideas. See the links below for more of mine!

    Best Wishes,

    Ray Tolley FEIDCT, NAACE Fellow, ACQI, MBILD
    ICT Education Consultant
    Maximise ICT Ltd
    P: http://raytolley.v2efolioworld.mnscu.edu/
    B: http://www.efoliointheuk.blogspot.com/
    W: http://www.maximise-ict.co.uk/eFolio-01.htm
    Winner of the IMS 'Leadership Regional Award 2009'

    ReplyDelete