Saturday, January 16, 2010

Last Two on-line conferences

I just viewed my last two on-line conference videos. The first one, Options for teacher websites, I liked, but it would have been more useful before I already had a website. The presentor showed the features of a number of available teacher sites, most of which are free. I do wonder what benefit Sharon's paid subscription has over these free resources, but since I have I site, I didn't pay quite as much attention as I might have. Anyone looking to set up a site should view it.

I was less impressed by the Digiteens project. I expected to love it because it is related to Flatclassroom and I've been impressed with their work. But I found many of the student presentations lacking in creativity or even composure. I know kids crack up when presenting, but I think they should take the time to produce something that looks like they take it seriously. I actually stopped watching this initially when two girls apologised for for presenting in their basketball uniforms--it was the only time they could find to film the segment. It really screamed, "not a priority". But I did go back and finish the presentation later. Still not too impressed.

1 comment:

  1. Ruthie,

    I agree with you in regards to the Digiteens project. I feel that if I were posting presentations to showcase our work, many of those examples would not be one that I would count as exemplars. I liked the idea of the project and the thought behind it, but thought the end products were lacking the quality which would show the viewer that this was a worth while presentation.

    ReplyDelete