Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Interesting articles from Boston Globe Magazine

I came across an interesting article in the Boston Globe Magazine that, although I can't relate to on the parenting level yet, I can relate to from the teacher perspective.  As we've discussed, kids often don't realize the parameters and appropriate usage of the internet, and the article highlights the fact that most of the time, they aren't misusing intentionally--they just haven't thought about it!  


And truly, having nothing to do with the class, it's really a quick, entertaining article!  
Too hot to handle: One dad dials back his daughter's online ID




Also, when I went online to find an electronic copy of the article, I came across this article, which brings up some interesting points....
Why an iPhone could actually be good for your 3-year-old

3 comments:

  1. As a parent of a four year old, I do cringe each time my daughter wants to use the computer, which I don't let her do. For what she would do with it at this point would just be an extension of the television, which she gets plenty of. I do indulge her once in a while and let her practice typing her name and address. She likes to move the mouse around and click on things.

    Recently, my sister went to her kindergartner's parent conference to hear that her daughter's keyboarding skills were not very strong. Her daughter also reported that her teachers said to her "Don't you have a computer at home?" I don't believe that a five year old should have keyboarding skills. I love technology and what it can do, but I think they need to learn how to just be kids and play with play dough and math manipulatives. Maybe this is what being a kid is all about now, I just don't buy it.

    But then, when is it the right time to start. I just don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently, I am not supporting the technology curriculum for my own children, because my kids do not have much access to the computer. I have never been a big supporter of computer games. My elementary age children do receive a computer class once a week in which they learn about Kidpix and word processing, but I haven't really encouraged it at home. Some of their friends have their own e-mail accounts and cell phones. I'm not there yet.

    My 9 year old now wants to search youtube and other sites and it concerns me. There is so much freedom on the web and so much that a 9 year old doesn't need to see. I do allow my kids to use it when an adult is right there to monitor it, but for the rest of their day, they can go out and ride their bikes, play school, or read a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monitoring is very important for children on the Internet. You are right to set these limits.

    And I could not agree with you more - "go out and ride their bikes, play school, or read a book" - if those things are sacrificed for watching TV, playing computer games or going on the Internet, something is wrong. We need to help children cultivate their imaginations in the old fashioned way. It's always about balance.

    Dennis

    ReplyDelete