Thursday, November 5, 2009

21st Century Literacy

At my table, we talked about how you could completely eliminate some "traditional" teaching methods. For example, can you teach decimals using technology? Do we think that we should lose the experience of examining primary source documents because students can simply google information? Will it be harder to grade 100 blog comments or wiki projects than traditional projects and tests? We all seem excited about integrating some technology into our classrooms assuming that we have consistent access to the technology, but we still aren't completely sure how we integrate it and how we grade it.

4 comments:

  1. I don't think that we can ever completely discount 'traditional' teaching methods..there will always be a need, IMO, for traditional methods. In fact, although I like to use many "21st C" skills, I often find myself in the library or at home using 'old'reference books. #i3cs21s09

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love google, but why is it that a book in hand is such a comfort? Generation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I concur with all of you. However, I think that 21st Century skills are not exclusively limited to technology. It also involves the problem solving,the ability to communicate and collaborate, and become a self directed learner.

    As far as the books go, I do wonder, is it a generational thing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found this resource on Using Primary Sources on the Web: http://tinyurl.com/agj5tl

    Dennis

    ReplyDelete